Thank you for visiting the home page of the Laboratory of Self-Assembled Biomaterials
My research team aims to create next-generation biomaterials including self-assembled soft-materials, organic/inorganic nanoparticles, polymers and stem cells based drug delivery vehicles as therapeutics through a highly multidisciplinary approach. We believe laboratory innovations should not only remain at lab-bench, but also should be translatable into the clinic to help people. Thus, our ultimate goal is to develop therapeutics/strategies that can rapidly translate into the clinic. Our approach to achieve this goal is through an interactive and collaborative research with biologists, engineers, material scientists, clinicians and entrepreneurs. We are actively seeking to establish collaborations with clinicians, biologists and labs that have expertise in animal models. Thus, we encourage you to contact us for further discussion to have a great beginning.
In addition, professional development of my team members takes priority, and my lab is dedicated to the development of next-generation chemists, material scientists and bioengineers to work at the forefront of translational research.
All the best,
Click here for details
- One of our work on inflammation-targeted hydrogels to emoliarate Inflammatory Bowl Disease (IBD) has been accepted in Science Translational Medicine, July 2nd, 2015. Great going guys.
- Manohar Mahato from CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), Delhi has joined as a joint postdoc fellow on July 1st, 2015. A warm welcome to the group!
- Ankita Hiwale has succesfully completed her masters thesis research in our lab and defended her thesis 1st July. She has joined the lab as Junior Research Fellow. We wish her to have a successful research career!
- Aman Kumar Naik a bachelors stuent has joined the lab as a DST INSPIRE summer fellow on May 25, 2015. A warm welcome to the group!
- Neenu Vijayan a masters stuent has joined the lab as a summer trainee on May 15, 2015. A warm welcome to the group!
- Ramesh Babu from National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal has joined as a joint postdoc fellow with our lab and Dr. Dasaradhi Palkodeti's lab on Feb 19, 2015. A warm welcome to the group!
- Prakash Parthiban from Tohoku University has joined as a postdoc fellow on Feb 10, 2015. A warm welcome to the group!
- Ankita Hiwale from Manipal Institute of Regenerative Medicine has joined the group for her masters thesis work on Jan 12, 2015. A warm welcome to the group!
- Jan 1, 2015: Today we are celebrating Lab's 2nd birthday at inStem. Our lab has started on 1 Jan 2013 and it has been fabulous two years journey so far!
- Renji Reghu from Kaunas University of Technology has joined as a postdoc fellow on Nov 15, 2014. A warm welcome to the group!
- Congratulations to Srujan Mareplly who has received BIRAC-Biotechnology Ignition Grant, fantastic news! Nov 12, 2014.
- Congratulations to Debjit Dutta who has completed one year of his postdoc fellowship and went to Genomic Institute of Singapore for a collaboration work. Nov 1, 2014.
- Lab's first research article has been appeared in Science Translational Medicine. A great start for the lab and wish to continue the same. Aug 13, 2014. (Media coverage can be seen here)
Our passion is to build the bridge from discovery to delivery (translational path)
- Praveen Vemula
National Centre for Biological Sciences,
Fax: 91-80-2363 6662
- Zhang S, et al. "An inflmation-targeting hydrogel for local delivery in inflammatory bowl disease". Science Transl. Med. 2015, 7, 300ra128. Link
- Gajanayake T, et al. "A single localized dose of enzyme-responsive hydrogel improves long-term survival of a vascularized composite allograft". Science Transl. Med. 2014, 6, 248ra110. Link
- Vemula PK, et al. "Self-assembled hydrogel fibers for sensing the multi-compartment intracellular milieu". Sci. Rep. 2014, 4, 4466. Link
- Vemula PK, et al. “Nanoparticles reduce nickel allergy by capturing metal ions”. Nature Nanotech.2011, 6, 291-295. Link
-Jadhav SR, et al. "Sugar derived phase-selective molecular gelators as model oil spills and solidifiers". Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 7695-7698. Link
- Kumar A. et al. "Silver nanoparticle-embedded anti-microbial paints based on vegetable oil". Nature Mater. 2008, 7, 236-241. Link
- Vemula PK, et al. "Enzyme catalysis: tool to make and break amygdalin hydrogelators from renewable resoureces: a delivery model for hydrophobic drugs". J. Am. Chem. Soc.2006, 128, 8932-8938. Link